This week I learned a lot but I also started to realize how much I don't know. I feel like there are a handful of people in the world that truly understand spiritual matters, someday I hope to be in that group.
It is beautiful here in Texas! It is sooo green and its winter. Apparently summer is incredibly hot and humid but I am excited to see how green it gets. We had some rain at the beginning of this week which was nice. I like the rain here because when it rains it rains. The streets get huge puddles and it makes it more exciting. Any change on the mission is accepted.
People always told me that this would go by fast and I am starting to see the truth behind it.
Yesterday was beautiful. I love Sundays. Its a great time to feel the spirit and start a new week on a clean slate.
Me and Elder A also had a wonderful dinner with the M family yesterday. Let me tell you a little about the M family. The wife was baptized when she was younger but fell away and Brother M is a convert. He was baptized 2 years ago and was in the marines. They are some of the most giving people I have ever met. You can feel his love for others when you are around them and his interest and concern for them. Its funny how people with that hardest shells have the most tender hearts.
I also learned this week not to judge initial impressions. At first I was surprised how small the ward was and I assumed that they were a weaker ward. How wrong was I! Yes the ward is small, but the members are strong and united in helping others come back. They are truly wonderful people.
Anyways, after we had dinner with Bro. M we had a lesson with Brother L about the importance of the gospel. We were planning on having his baptism this Saturday but none of the bishopric will be available this weekend so it will be sometime in April were thinking.
We also taught H and R this week. H moved here to America recently and has speaks very poor English. She understands what we are saying but we have a harder time understanding her. She and her son R were recently baptized and we are doing the recent convert lessons with them. H is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Whenever you talk to her you feel all your own meanness melting away. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to meet and be apart of so many wonderful peoples lives.
I am starting to notice that people in Texas don't mind letting us in but it takes several visits to get them to act. Its slow work but patience and faith is key.
We continue to teach the B family but me and Elder A are not sure what it is they need to progress. I'm pretty sure its the same for everyone though. Read the scriptures, come to church and pray. I still haven't learned though how to help people develop that love for scriptures. Maybe as I develop my own desire I will be able to be more effective.
It would be safe to say I still have no idea whats going on or how to do the Lord's work, but I am trying and learning slowly.
I also learned a little more about the atonement this week. As we have faith in Christ and repent with a sincere heart, He automatically begins to help us with whatever it may be we are trying to change. This happens with or without us noticing.
I love this gospel because it gives me direction in life. I know that as I follow the gospel of Christ I will one day live in the presence of the Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ. I pray that we will all be humble enough to turn to Him in all our actions and remember Him always.
I love you all and truly appreciate the letters. It is so wonderful at the end of the day to open a letter and know that someone is thinking of me. I apologize if it has taken me a while to get back to you.
Love,
Elder Christensen
No comments:
Post a Comment