



ohThese weeks go fast!
3/30/15
These weeks go fast!
This week went well, its hard to even remember the first part of the week because it feels like ages ago. But I do know I had p-day on Monday and I'm pretty sure we did a lot of service this week. Last week we had a lot of restoration lessons so we tried following up with those and trying to teach the second lesson. People are willing to listen to what we have to say for the first time but when the figure out that we expect them to do something they are out! But that's ok, it just means they aren't quite ready.
One of the lessons me and Elder A taught this week went very well. We have a nicer neighborhood we spend a lot of time in and we were walking around one fine Saturday and this guy was in his garage making some cool star wars stuff so we went over and talked to him. He said he was interested so we went back this week. I think it was my first lesson that I taught with the spirit. I was in tune with what he was saying and was able to relate his thoughts back to the restoration and address his concerns and questions simply and effectively. It makes a world of difference when I get to be the Lord's tool for helping His children. Its a neat experience. But then other times when I teach I get lazy and rely on my own abilities. It never works and the lesson doesn't go nearly as well. So this week I am going to work on being more focused and work harder than last week. Hopefully R (the guy's name) chooses to read of the Book of Mormon because that's hows he is going to know!
We have also been trying to get the ward to trust us. We went over to the bishop's house for dinner on Saturday and we had a fun dinner and time with them. He is a new and young bishop so hes learning just like us. We continue to offer our help and our relationship is starting to grow.
I was praying this week for help to see God's hand and role in our work. Something I am still working on. Elder Eyering had a quote that went along the lines that if we write down what were grateful for each day then we will gradually begin to see the Lord's hand in our lives. I think I need to start doing that!
We taught the B family this week as well. We had Bishop and his wife come with us and it went well. J understands baptism but were working with the kids to make sure they aren't just saying yes because its what the mom wants. J showed her faith yesterday. She was sick and we were standing outside the chapel doors waiting for her and her family to show up. Well it was time to start and they weren't there yet so we sat down. 5 minutes into the meeting they walk in. Apparently she was sick but decided that she needed to come to church. Its a neat thing to see people begin to see the importance of putting Christ first in their lives.
Since yesterday was fast Sunday we had a little get together with the ward after church called a linger-longer. People bring some food and we all chat and eat. It was a relaxing event. The weather lately has been perfect! About 80 degrees and sunny everyday (except today, today is gray and bleh). But the ward is starting to trust us as well. This was shown through the members willingness to sign up to feed us dinner! Me and Elder A are like-able guys so its about time they invited us over. I continue to see how great this ward is every Sunday and my love for them grows every time. Brother A, an older Hispanic guy in our ward, sat next to us at the dinner. He loooves hot peppers and he had a bag of habanero peppers. He asked me if I wanted to split one so I said sure. Hot dang! It wasn't even my mouth that was bad after I ate it, it was my whole body. I felt hot and my throat burned and then my stomach hurt for the rest of the day. Lesson learned: no habaneros. Hes a great guy. A character really, lots of those down here in Texas.
We also every Sunday have the opportunity to visit the L family. I love that family so much. Brother L went inactive earlier on in his life but has the desire to come back and get involved again. He is already starting to do missionary work and every time we visit I can see that his faith has grown. I pray that he will continue on this path and lead his family back to the gospel. We had a great discussion about the importance of the Book of Mormon. The more I become like Christ the more people trust me. Go figure ay?
Anyways, I enjoyed this week lots. Starting to be filled with God's love. I know this church is true, it is God's church and its more than that. It is God's way for us to become like Him. It is the way that we progress. Joseph Smith was a prophet and he restored Christ's church. God loves us all and we grow closer to Him through service. WE also grow closer to Him through scripture study. Christ lives and through Him we can live too!
I love you all,
Elder Christensen
No comments:
Post a Comment