So one transfer is gone already! How its been 6 weeks already I don't know but it has.
I know I have said this before but I really can't remember last Monday. So I will talk about stuff that I do remember.
The past 2 days we have had some awesome lightning, thunder, and rain. Today we have a darker rainy sky with the sun shining. Its a cooler day today. So we have a miles limit for the month and we get 1200 miles a month. They were cut this week; normally we have 1375 but it was cut 175 miles so we were over our daily mileage. Hopefully this is making sense. So the other day we tried riding our bikes but that lasted about an hour before we gave up. We weren't quite sure what to do when we needed to walk around. Here in Texas people love to strip bikes or just steal them. So I was a little hesitant about locking my bike to the church. I like riding my bike though! It was a good change from the car.
On p-days our normal schedule is email at the library, get food at the glorious HEB, go back the apartment and put food away, play basketball for 4-5 hours or play board games and write letters. We were going to go to the San Antonio art museum last Monday but its closed on Mondays. Lame! We visited with a family yesterday though that was saying there is another museum somewhere close to here that has some Monets and Renoirs. We might have to check that out. I kind of suck everyone into it but they are good sports about it. We have a washing machine in our apartment so its easy to do laundry. We occasionally eat fast food and we haven't played soccer yet :(
The other week we had a turkey follow us around a neighborhood as we walked around. It walked in front of us and tried to cut us off. Who even has a pet turkey they let wander around in the front yard? Apparently that guy.
The highlight of this week would be A's baptism on Saturday! It went very well. He was excited and it was a process for him. I think when things are harder to achieve its that much more rewarding. He had the biggest smile when he was baptized. There was such a tender, humble spirit there. I hope he continues on the path that hes on and we will continue to help him do so.
Sometimes I question if I am truly serving anyone. I often think of service as temporal service. But it is truly the gospel that we serve people in a way that cant be done any way else. Everyone needs what we have to offer. We have the key to exaltation! The more we know about the gospel and scriptures the more we can be an instrument in the Lord's hands. The stronger our conversion to Christ the more we can help others come unto Him. I didnt realize how central Christ is to what we believe. He truly is everything!
Elder A shared a good insight with me the other day. We were talking about aligning our will with Christ's. Heavenly Father and Christ's purpose is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. My dad had a quote from Monson that talked about when we truly begin to love our fellow brothers and sisters we are on the path to eternal life. These 2 points tie into a general conference talk given last conference titled (I think) Eternal Life: To know God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. If we think about what it means to know someone what does it mean? To understand them. How perfectly will we know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ if we have the same goal? If we align our will with God's, helping others have eternal life, than we are going to know them PERFECTLY! Once we love those around us we begin to desire their exaltation, once we are filled with charity this becomes our goal and desire and that's God's desire too! I can't say I know the way to gain charity, its hard, its really really hard. But that is how we come to know our Father and Christ, but developing Charity. And once we truly develop charity it won't even become a selfish desire, it will be out of love for others. Which makes eternal life that much sweeter.
Boy do we need the Savior's help in all that we do! He is always there to listen and ready to help. Turn to Him and find rest. I testify that He lives and the world can know it too by reading the Book of Mormon consistently. The more I learn the more I realize the depth of the gospel and the universe. The universe is profound!
I love you all,
Elder Christensen
PS I can only write letters on p-day so it takes me a while to get them done
No comments:
Post a Comment