Tuesday, May 12, 2015

5/11/15 - Vultures! Vultures everywhere!!‏

A blooming onion ...

So down here in the heart of Texas we have a wide assortment of birds including but not limited to: vultures, big black scary gross but yet cool vultures, red cardinals, blue birds, cool ducks, scissor tail birds (not sure actual name), hawks, grouse, a different breed of skinny turkey which weirdly enough people have as pets and they sit outside of peoples front yards and then follow you around, and lots and lots of tweety birds! So that's the birdy news.

This week I really focused on just enjoying the journey which made it more enjoyable. (Go figure)

Monday- We had p-day like normal and we actually had some errands to run so we did that. And actually the other day as in a month ago I managed to crack a gallon of milk while I was carrying it so I got milk all over my blue suit! So we looked for a reliable dry cleaner but could not find one. Oh well, most of the milky spots came off with water and a towel. Still wearable! It was actually pretty comical because I set it down to open the trunk but I sat it on the trunk so when I opened it it fell and cracked and then I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up. To say the least it was funny for everyone that witnessed. Anyways, we did that and then went out to proselyte. We met with a guy named Baltimore who wanted to meet with us and has the desire to change his life around. We shared that through Christ's atonement we can do that and left him with a BoM and we made a follow up appointment. I realized again this week that people ultimately have to make the decision for themselves to change; people have to choose for themselves to be happy and the gospel shows us how!

Tuesday- We went and stopped by a lot of people and tried to find some new people to teach. We have been meeting with a cool Jamaican guy, Bro. V, and he made the decision that he wants to make church a part of his life again so he has been reading the BoM ever since and is going to tell his boss that he can no longer work on Sundays. It has been so cool to see his countenance change as he has made the gospel a part of his life. Whenever we go over now we feel the spirit and we can see that it is in him. We invited his wife to learn about the gospel and she said yes. Well she does not believe in God and Christ so it was different. We just told her that if she did want to know than the BoM is the way to do so. Hopefully she comes around eventually and if she continues to see how much Bro V grows then I think she will.

Wednesday- Had district meeting again! We have DM every Wednesday unless we are having zone meeting, that replaces it. Our district leader is also Elder Christensen! What are the odds? So we had DM and then we went to go and teach a LA. We challenged her to read the BoM everyday for a week and look for the difference it makes in her life. Hopefully she does it! We meet with her again this Wednesday. Oh in DM we had a training on what people need to feel in order to become converted and in 2 Nephi 4:16-35 it talks exactly about it. It was a neat little study. We then had coordination with Bro. W at 5 at Texas roadhouse and had a glorious blooming onion thing. And then we went to Aaron and his family and taught them. We have been working with his wife but I think it will just take time for her to accept the gospel and want to be a part of it. 

Thursday- Was a 0 day but it happens. We had weekly planning and came up with some great ideas for how to help people see how the BoM blesses them. We came up with a challenge we wanted to give to people and I would challenge you the same! 

BoM Challenge: First, pick a question you have about life, doctrine, personal question, etc. Then write it down on a piece of paper and pray that you will be able to receive an answer. Read the BoM everyday for two weeks and truly seek for an answer, it does not matter what you read but as you read try and apply your question to everything you are reading and have the question in mind. As you do so you will be able to have your question answered through the spirit. If you truly have the desire to know the answer Heavenly Father will give you the answer as you exercise faith in Him. It is a great faith exercise to help us see that Heavenly Father cares and the BoM answers all of our questions. It just requires work on our part!

Friday- I had exchanges on Friday and Elder Christensen came to my area and I led out. We were EC squared that day but no one made a comment about it. It was a bummer. We stopped by a lot of people with not a lot of success but it was fun to spend the day with Elder C. It was a super slow day.

Saturday- We rode bikes again which I always enjoy. We went to the G's for lunch which is an older couple. It was a nice lunch and then we rode bikes to look for more people and stop by more people. For dinner we got Big Louis pizza which is probably the best pizza I have ever had. So we pigged out on pizza then went back out for the evening. We tried knocking but no one would answer or they were not home no matter what are we went to. People tend to leave for the weekends down here. Then we went and stopped by some other people and set up some appointments. 

Sunday- I skyped with my family which was wonderful! Church was centered around mothers day and it was a good sacrament. Robert came to church again today and an excommunicated member is starting to come more often so two good things. We teach the gospel essentials class which has been going well. It is always better when we have more than 2 people because then we can have a discussion. In the morning we went to Bro W's house so Elder A could skype his family. I made pancakes with his family while my companion skyped. We put pancake mix in a squeeze thing and made different shaped pancakes and boats and such. Then we went and visited some people out in the country and had a chat with an older gentleman. Invited him to church and then went to church. After church we had dinner then we headed back out to the country so I could skype. Then we had a lesson with Aaron and his family again and called it a day. 

Every week I become more and more convinced that this is all true. The BoM is true and from it we find joy. Read it and live!

I love you all and hope you all have an awesome week!
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment