I HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN ON MY MISSION FOR 1 YEAR AND 4 DAYS!
It feels like a long time, but at the same time this was probably one of the fastest years of my life. What a weird paradox. Time is a weird thing. That means only one more Thanksgiving and Christmas on the mission. Man that's crazy. Before long I will be getting ready to go home and see your lovely faces. Weird to think about.
During Christmas and Easter the church releases a video for the missionaries to use. Since Easter is getting closer and closer, the video for us to use is getting closer and closer too. Its fun to use the video since we have iPads. We just pull our iPads out and show them a video and they get punched in the face by the spirit. Its fun. Hopefully we will have more success sharing it this time that during Christmas. People always used the lame excuse that they were busy, hopefully that won't be the case.
What makes a mission so fun is interacting with a variety of people from all walks of life. It is so much fun. On Tuesday I went on exchanges with Elder Goeckeritz. This funny, older couple took us out to a Mexican restaurant to eat. We just met at their house and they drove us over. But two things they said were hilarious. I will give you the dialogue.
Ray (70 yr old man) *driving by this large sewage draining tunnel thing, looks over and sees that someone threw a Christmas tree from their backyard, over the fence, into the water canal thingy): "WOW! What a lazy bum. All they had to do was take their Christmas tree to the side of the road and the city would pick it up for free! Who would do such a thing? Who's house is that?"
Clare (70 yr old woman, his wife) *quietest, calmest lady ever; proof that opposites attract. in the calmest, most couldn't care less voice*: "Wow that's awful... Lets fingerprint it."
*Later during the drive to Rosa's. We ended up talking about the Spanish Branch and how its grown so much*
Me: So do you speak Spanish?
Ray: No. I'm Italian!
Elder Goeckeritz: When did you move to America?
Ray: Oh when I was young, 8 I believe. If I still lived there I would be in what is now called Venezuela, close to the ankle. But if I did live there I would be under the rule of that dictator. What's his name again? Is it Chavez? No that's not right, or is it? Chavez? Did he just die or is he the older one. Clare, what's his name?
Clare: *Once again in a tone of "I couldn't care less"*: I don't know, I don't follow Venezuelan politics Ray.
Ray: *Silence*
So funny.
Love them. I have really come to love the members of the church and the people I work with. Grateful for their goodness and the opportunity I have to get to know them. People are great! Imagine how boring it would be if we were all the same? The food was pretty good too!
We had a lesson with Jason and Pang again this past week. I think Pang is Chinese. She has a picture in her living room of her grandmother in her traditional culture clothes and it looks Chinese to me. I have never asked. It might be rude, I don't know. Anyways, she has 4 kids who we had never met because we always met in the afternoon when her kids were at school and thats when her husband was home. But her husband got a new job so he is home in the evenings now, so now we meet when the whole family is home! Their two youngest daughters joined us this time for the lesson, Avani and Sariah. It was awesome! I don't think they got much out of it, but they were so excited. They made us cookies and sat there the whole time. Its neat to see their family growing closer together as they learn about the restored gospel. They made the decision to come to church this coming Sunday with their neighbors. We will see how that goes. They are nervous for three hours of church. Trying to figure out how to give them the best experience possible. Exciting stuff!
After our lesson we went and helped with Activity Days for about 10 minutes. Sis. Savage is the leader and since it was on missionary work she wanted us to come and talk for a few minutes. We met a 9 year old girl named Valeria who hasn't been baptized, but when asked if she wanted to she said yes. Hopefully we will be able to get some appointments with them and help her family. I asked her what she liked to do for fun and she said draw. I asked her what she liked to draw and she said anything that pops into my mind. I asked her what popped into her mind and she said a deformed horse. Oh how lovely!
We also met with John this past week. John has been coming to church for 2 years and has read the BoM twice, but hasn't felt like he has received an answer from the Holy Ghost as to whether or not to be baptized. He is a good guy. We went and talked about the Restoration. He knows a lot, so hopefully one day he will say its time and then take the plunge.
I have never had allergies in my life. People always, always complain about how bad the allergies are here in Texas. They always say if you haven't gotten them yet just wait. Well I have been here for a year and I was feeling pretty good about myself that I hadn't gotten them yet. But on Friday morning I was feeling feverish so I called Sis. Slaughter, the mother for 200 18-27 year olds for 3 years, to find out what it is/what to do to get it to go away. She asks me for the symptoms, I name two and then she just lists symptoms that I have. Then after she is done she says, "CONGRATULATIONS! You have Cedar Fever!" Aka allergies. The Texans were right, everyone will get allergies if you live here long enough. It was awful though for two days. So we stayed in and almost died of boredom. It was eating us slowly.
Sunday was good though! Always refreshing to remember our covenants. We sang lots of good hymns too. I love the hymns. We have started going to Walsh Ranch Ward Council, and they are awesome! They have a great desire to do missionary work and we have lots of good discussions, but we are in that stage of going from talking about it and having the desire, to becoming and applying it. It will be exciting once they get things rolling.
We are teaching Andie and her family the lessons again so we can get some practice teaching. We taught the Restoration yesterday. Its fun.
The first half of this week is predicted to be rainy and then back to the 80's to dry everything up. Hopefully it does rain, it is getting really dry around here. Seasons don't really exist here. Everything is always green. Actually, the two seasons are hot and not so hot.
I was studying the Sabbath Day this morning and some cool stuff stuck out to me. In Preach My Gospel it says that when a nation and individuals grow careless in their observance of the Sabbath Day, all aspects of life are negatively affected. It then says that when we do try to keep our activities on the Sabbath in line with the Lord's desires our lives are filled with joy and peace. What a powerful blessing. Now we just have to figure out what the Lord's will is for us on the Sabbath Day. We can do that by listening to our leaders. They will always lead us to what is right.
Thanks for the letters and love. You all spoil me so much! I can feel the love.
I love you too! Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Christensen
No comments:
Post a Comment