Elders ...
This past week we had dinner with some members who really enjoy having us over for dinner. At dinner she told us there was a storm coming with high chances of rain everyday this week. Then her husband adds his knowledge on the subject and tells us it's a slow moving tropical storm. They really talked up this storm that's coming. Well it has been the joke of the week between me and Elder Rowland. It has hardly rained, and every once in a while it looks like there's a storm coming but it will rain for 30 minutes then the sun will come out. It's been fun. But yes it's been very grey lately which is nice but with the grey comes humid and with humidity comes ew. It was 102 and dumb humid the other day. How sweaty you may ask? Very. This week was more active then last week. We still are lacking in the set up appointments area but we always find lessons somewhere. Last week we were struggling to find an appointment so we were knocking trying to find people and we were about to move to the next area but we felt like we should try a couple more. So we walk down the street and there is a guy sitting outside. We go up to him and talk with him and he allows us to share the restoration with him. He wasn't interested at all in the church but he listened and he shared with us the psalms he was writing and how he wants to be a rapper and rapped for us. Made me smile. And best of all his name is Palace. I become more and more convinced that God uses us to bless the lives of others in ways that we may not see until it's over or until we think about it. We didn't need to find a new investigator that day, just someone willing to listen and make us smile.
A very similar experience happened this week too. Earlier in the week one of the day's was 98, blaring sun and humid. We decided to walk to each house because they were close enough but boy was it hot. I was getting a bit impatient so I said a prayer. Backstory, I have been trying to develop my gratitude for everything lately and so I have been praying for the ability to see God answering my prayers and His hand in my life. So we kept walking and sweating and being hot and impatient when this big black guy comes walking out of his house and yells at us hello fellow saints! He comes over and gives us a big hug and tells us he's pastor Davis. He asks us if we have the Melchizedek priesthood? We say yes and he says have a great day and we go on our way. I know that that was God inspiring that man to come out and say hello to us because we needed it. Heavenly Father is so good to me and I'm not sure what I do to deserve it. We also that same day have people say they weren't interested but then offer us water. Elder Eyring gives a great talk on this topic called O Remember, Remember. It's a good one. Lots of things God does for us everyday, we just have to put the effort into finding them and being humble enough to appreciate them. Along those same lines we were proselyting the other day and we went down one street I had never been down before to find a uhaul truck. We go over and offer help and she says no but thank you but we felt like we needed to go back so we did and the ladies friend comes over to us and asks us if we pray. We say no and then leave. Just kidding, we say yes and she asks us if we could pray for her friend, whom we just met, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. We say yes and we offer a priesthood blessing to Teresa as well. It was a powerful moment. She appreciated it and we left her a card and she took it. I could tell she was thinking deeply about the BoM on the back. I also had prayed for the opportunity to find people that were prepared that day and we found someone! I hope she uses this trial as an opportunity to find the truth and grow closer to God. But looking back on it Heavenly Father led us to her in around about way without promptings, just by trying to do what's right we end up doing what God needs us to do. Everything that invites to do good is of God Moroni 7:16. So just do good stuff and you have no need to worry. Every once and a while we will have moments where we are talking with someone and the spirit will be so subtle but sublime and there. It's like time stops, it's like a tunnel to Heaven has been opened, it is the most peaceful, sweet feeling and I hope others can feel the power of it when it happens. The blessing with Teresa was one of them. It's like time stops so there is no denying that Jesus is the Christ. It's like a pure testimony is being bore from the spirit. It's very, very cool. I was reading King Benjamin's address today and some verses from chapter 2 stuck out and I will share them with y'all. Mosiah 2:16-19 talks about how king Benjamin has spent all his days serving them and if he merits any thanks at all, o how he ought to thank your Father in heaven. Heavenly Father has done so much for all of us. Including sending His only begotten son into the world that through him the world might be saved. Heavenly Father is the best father we could ever want. He loves us enough to make our own choices and oh how we ought to thank Him for that wonderful gift. It's a selfless gift, He knows it is going to cause some of His children pain in this life and the life to come, but His love is perfect. So trust Him and listen to His words. Then obey. I promise that obedience to God brings the most happiness. Surrender your will to Him and find joy. I love y'all so very much and miss you lots. I hope everyone had an awesome Father's Day. Thank you for the great examples you have given to me. Love, Elder Christensen
Ps mailbox has not been fixed, it might be fixed in a year or two, we shall see
No comments:
Post a Comment